Since everyone’s on the banana bread train this week, I figured I’d share my recipe for ZOATS that taste like banana bread! This is a great way to get extra veggies in your diet, and it’s super simple to make! Cutting oatmeal with other ingredients will bring down your average carb intake for the day. Yes, vegetables are carbs. I love carbs. Here’s a recipe for healthy breakfast oatmeal.
Makes 4 cups of zoats that taste like banana bread
Each 1/2 cup cooked serving is roughly 125 calories
Cook time: 12-15 minutes depending how you like your oats
Prep time: 2 minutes
Your Nourishing Breakfast Meal:
- 1 CUP STEEL CUT OATS
- 3 CUPS WATER 1 SMALL ZUCCHINI
- 1 MEDIUM CARROT
- 1 RIPE BANANA
- 1 TBSP CHIA SEEDS
- 1 TBSP PEANUT BUTTER
- CINNAMON to taste
Healthy Breakfast Oatmeal
- Start by cooking oats in water. Bring water to a boil and add oats, reduce to medium heat and simmer. While the oats are cooking, prepare the rest of the ingredients.
- Shred zucchini and carrot.
- Put zucchini and carrot into cooking oats. The longer you cook, the less you will taste the zucchini and carrot. But you don’t really taste it anyways, I usually do a total cooking time of about 12 minutes.
- Add the banana. Can pre cut it if you like. My over ripe bananas are usually frozen so they just melt while cooking.
- Add cinnamon. Add peanut butter. Stir oats occasionally and break up the banana if needed.
- Once the oats are looking how you like them, turn off the element. Add chia seeds and mix. Allow to stand for 2 minutes before serving.
The vegetables in the oats will add more volume to your meal, mixed in with some yummy peanut butter fat will leave you feeling much fuller, much longer. Each 1/2 cup serving is roughly 125 calories
Hope you try and enjoy this healthy breakfast oatmeal.